[parted-devel] > 63 heads. Why does this keep coming up?

Brian C. Lane bcl at redhat.com
Wed Feb 2 21:40:51 UTC 2011

It seems that the most common parted error right now is the one that
happens on flash drives that come from the factory with a 'bad' format
that reports > 63 heads.

Does anyone know why this is happening? And is there anything parted can
do about it? I've run into this once myself while using
livecd-iso-to-disk (which uses parted for partitioning). After I removed
its partitioning using dd if=/dev/zero ... it worked fine.

I think at the least that the error should not throw a backtrace. I'd
rather see it print an error about the device, with some helpful
information, and skip it so that things like parted -l will show the
rest of the drives on the system without removing the offending device.