[parted-devel] > 63 heads. Why does this keep coming up?

Phillip Susi psusi at cfl.rr.com
Sun Feb 13 21:53:13 UTC 2011

On 02/13/2011 01:28 PM, Curtis Gedak wrote:
> It might be useful to print a message indicating a problem with invalid
> CHS geometry, and that parted will write a geometry when edits are made
> to the partition table.
>
> What are your thoughts regarding informing the user about invalid CHS?

CHS is just leftover garbage from the days when dinosaurs walked the
earth.  Nobody actually uses it anymore, so it doesn't really matter.
If the existing CHS addresses are nonsense, then parted can hardly make
it any worse, and so no harm will come from it.  I therefore don't see
any reason to send the user into a panic warning them about it.

> TEST B SUMMARY
> --------------
> Parted also changes the disk geometry to a valid one when a new
> partition is created. Now that the CHS geometry has changed, fdisk no
> longer sees the original partition as cylinder aligned. I wonder if this
> change in geometry could possibly cause problems later on....

There actually isn't anything to change since the disk geometry is not
stored in the partition table.  Parted just tries to guess what geometry
was used to compute the existing CHS addresses from their LBA, and use
that same geometry when it needs to compute a CHS address.  If that
guess fails, then I believe parted just assumes the max values for heads
and sectors when it has to write CHS values.