[parted-devel] ped_assert after a gpt disk is shrunk

Jim Meyering jim at meyering.net
Wed Jan 26 10:14:06 UTC 2011

rahul dev wrote:
> Thanks Jim for answering this.
> Its good to know that it is a known problem and has been solved.
>
> However, looking at the solution it looks that we consider such a disk
> as a non match and don't print any partition information. Also, we
> don't try to write the secondary table at the end. Is that right ?
>
> Why is it so? Why don't we try to read the partition table based on
> primary gpt table. Also, we should set write_back to 1 and try to
> write the secondary header at the end of disk (in case we have a free
> space at the end).

Since then there have been many more changes than that to
the GPT-handling code.  Please look at the latest, give it a try,
and if something doesn't work, report it with enough detail
to reproduce the problem.

In interactive mode, you should get a prompt like this:

         _("The backup GPT table is not at the end of the disk, as it "
           "should be.  This might mean that another operating system "
           "believes the disk is smaller.  Fix, by moving the backup "
           "to the end (and removing the old backup)?")))