[parted-devel] Resizing/moving partition with parted-3.0

Petr Uzel petr.uzel at suse.cz
Tue Jun 7 14:59:38 UTC 2011

Hi all!

I think that removing FS-related code (and most of the commands like
mkfs, check,...) from parted-3.0 was a good idea, however I'm a bit
surprised that resize and move commands are now completely gone. I
understand why the FS-resizing code has been dropped, but I fail to
see why it is impossible to do the resizing on partition table level
(eventually with a warning like "I don't know how big the contained FS
is and I don't care, so make sure you don't destroy your data").

Is there now any other way how to resize partitions with parted except
removing/recreating the partition with different size?

Similar with the move command - I might be wrong, but isn't it
possible just to move the partition including the contents to other
offset and update partition table? IIRC e.g. NTFS would not survive
moving to another offset, but in general it should IMHO work. With a
sufficiently big warning it would be more useful than using dd or some
similar tool (which moreover wouldn't work if source and destination
overlap).

Or is there some other reason why resize/move commands have been
completely removed?

Thanks,

        Petr

--