[parted-devel] Resize removal

Petr Uzel petr.uzel at suse.cz
Tue Nov 29 16:02:47 UTC 2011

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 10:49:34AM -0500, Phillip Susi wrote:
> On 11/29/2011 10:27 AM, Petr Uzel wrote:
> >The idea is to have resize command, which moves only the end of the
> >partition. If it is expanding, it is considered safe operation.
> >With shrinking, we should at least warn that it is unsafe and could
> >destroy the data.
>
> That is exactly what I was thinking.  I'm also implementing a
> variant of the BLKPG ioctl to allow such a resize to take place on a
> currently mounted partition.  I'll see what I can do with these
> patches.

I was also thinking about some new BLKPG-like ioctl()s. Could you
please elaborate more on your new ioctl() proposal? Perhaps we could
combine the ideas...

Features of the new ioctl()/s I was thinking about are:
- get largest number of partition known to the kernel
- atomically add/remove more than one partition

Regards,

Petr

--
Petr Uzel