[parted-devel] Programmer for GNU Parted

Jim Meyering jim at meyering.net
Fri Oct 5 20:30:14 UTC 2012

miguel.guasch at hushmail.com wrote:
> I saw on
> (http://savannah.gnu.org/people/viewjob.php?group_id=1902&job_id=433
> ) that the project GNU Parted needs programmers.
>
> I'm a student of applied sciences and engineering specializing in
> embedded systems, and although this is my first year in college,
> I've had to work a lot with C. Besides from the classes, I've been
> learning a lot by myself and continue to learn everyday. I'd like
> to contribute somehow to the project in order to help the Free
> Software Foundation and gain more experience in the software
> development process.
>
> If you guys have any specific questions I could answer, please do
> let me know, and if you think my capacities aren't optimal for this
> project, could you please point me to another project?

Thanks for your interest.
New contributors are always welcome.
A good way to get started is to get a copy of the code
and see if you can build and run the tests from git-cloned sources.
Here are instructions:

    http://git.sv.gnu.org/cgit/parted.git/tree/HACKING
    http://git.sv.gnu.org/cgit/parted.git/tree/README-hacking

Eventually, you should be able to run "make check".
If something doesn't compile or if any test fails, try to figure out why.
Either problem may be worthy of a bug report, and we'd appreciate
an email describing your system, what you did, and what failed.

Finally, take a look at the sources and the tests, and/or the mailing
list.  See if you can spot a problem in the code, or a bug report on
the mailing list that has not yet been addressed.

Jim