[parted-devel] Partition tables and ARM booting

Phil Susi psusi at ubuntu.com
Mon Dec 18 20:57:29 UTC 2017

On 12/12/2017 5:39 PM, Danny Milosavljevic wrote:
> Is it? The Allwinner bootloader loads the boot code from a fixed
> sector number on the disk.  It doesn't know anything about GPT.

I meant that telling libparted to limit the size of the GPT is specific
to GPT.

> Yeah, lots of Allwinner boards use this sector number.  But other ARM
> vendors use other sector numbers.  The API above is supposed to
> provide a means of saying "I need these sectors for lowlevel stuff,
> don't use them for either partitions or partition tables".

I wonder if there is some least common size that we could use then,
which would leave room for all of the various board's boot loaders?
Then again, it might be nice to just be able to specify a size for the
GPT table.  IIRC, there is a way to do that currently using an
environment variable, but that's kind of hacky and was introduced just
for internal testing purposes.