[Pbuilder-maint] A sane guess at default Debian mirror for pbuilder

Josip Rodin joy at entuzijast.net
Tue May 29 23:05:55 UTC 2007

On Wed, May 30, 2007 at 12:25:21AM +0200, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Pe?a wrote:
> > Well, at least it was different... ftp.debian.org is an even more horrible
> > default, because that's burdering one single machine maxing out its FE card,
> > where we have a network of >300 mirrors out there that are mostly happy
> > to share the load.
>
> I have to ask: why isn't ftp.debian.org a RR DNS entry? Or even better,
> wouldn't it be possible to setup a load balancer in front of ftp.debian.org
> (with a GE card) to share the load amongst more than one system?

Last I heard from one of the DSAs in charge of that (I can't remember now
which one of them), and that was just barely and years ago, it was because
we couldn't get >1 machine to be sufficiently synchronized. I was never
allowed to do major changes with the existing US mirrors in order to get
something done about that.

None of those things changed since then, it seems.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.