Running gdebi inside or outside of chroot

Loïc Minier lool at dooz.org
Sat Dec 12 14:30:58 UTC 2009

        Hi folks

 #472407 has a patch which will run gdebi from the host instead of
 running it inside the chroot.  gdebi has not a huge dep tree, but when
 starting from a squeeze chroot it will pull these in the build
 environment:
  apt-utils libdb4.5 libsqlite3-0 libssl0.9.8 lsb-release mime-support python
  python-apt python-central python-debian python-minimal python-support
  python2.5 python2.5-minimal
Suggested packages:
  lsb python-doc python-tk python-profiler python-apt-dbg python-gtk2
  python-vte python2.5-doc binfmt-support
Recommended packages:
  file iso-codes libjs-jquery
  apt-utils gdebi-core libdb4.5 libsqlite3-0 libssl0.9.8 lsb-release
  mime-support python python-apt python-central python-debian python-minimal
  python-support python2.5 python2.5-minimal

 I'm aware that the aptitude build-dep resolver installs aptitude, but
 it's much less intrusive as aptitude is Priority important and mostly
 adds a couple of uncommon libs into the mix.

 I think we could require gdebi's installation on the host to use this
 build-dep resolver, and bail out with a helpful error message if it's
 not installed on the host.  That would be less intrusive for "clean"
 builds.  With aptitude we don't really have the option to avoid its
 installation, but we could remove it after installation; not a big deal
 IMO.

 Any objection to making gdebi a requirement on the host to use this
 resolver?  Or do we want to support both cases?  I would prefer if we
 had a single code path to maintain.

   Thanks
--
Loïc Minier