Extending pbuilder for cross-builds

Mikhail Gusarov dottedmag at dottedmag.net
Tue Feb 24 13:30:29 UTC 2009

Twas brillig at 22:20:18 24.02.2009 UTC+09 when dancer at netfort.gr.jp did gyre and gimble:

 JU> I was reading this patch again.

 JU> I am not quite sure about the utility of having this merged to
 JU> mainline.

In this form patch is really non-mergeable, I gave the link just for
refrence.

If you're not against it, I'll provide another patch, doing the
following things:

1. Accepting -a$arch (or --target-arch=$arch) option for all the tools
and passing it all the way down to the dpkg-buildpackage -a$arch.

2. Separating the build-depends calculation and also passing the -a$arch
to it.

This way it will be possible to provide Slind-specific build-depends
parsing without modifying the pbuilder.

 JU> Does this patch help with people doing amd64 / i386 cross-building
 JU> which seems to be popular? I guess amd64 / i386 would be a
 JU> different beast altogether, and need a different addition of
 JU> additional complexity.

pbuilder(1) already handles it well, the problem with non-matching host
architectures only manifests itself in pdebuild. But yes, that's the
another problem.