pbuilder packaging updates

Peter Pentchev roam at ringlet.net
Tue Jun 23 07:33:12 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 08:49:00AM +0900, Junichi Uekawa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Okay, let's go through each of them. I was hoping that each one
> becomes an email thread so it's easier to know status of each patch,
> and if it's in an email thread git will use the From: and Subject:
> fields to generate the commit information and eventually
> debian/changelog.

Oh!  I didn't know about that feature of git, and thus I didn't
realize that's what you meant.  Sorry!  And thanks for taking
the time to review the patches!

> $ ls -1 r*
> r3791-no-autoremove-on-etch.patch -- I don't like the conditional being executed every time, I'd like to fix this in another way.

Hmm.  Another way would be to have pbuilder "remember" which version
of apt it has last installed into the chroot.  However, that might be
a problem if somebody does a "login --save-after-login" and either
upgrades or downgrades the apt package crossing the 0.7.6 border.
I'm not sure if there is a reliable way to do it otherwise :(

> r3792-make-clean.patch -- does this survive two debian/rules clean in a row ?

Yes, it does - why shouldn't it?  The "clean" target simply removes
some backup files and leftovers from the test suite.

The only case when a clean-ish thing would not succeed twice that
I've come across so far is with a Makefile generated by autotools or
something similar, when "make distclean" actually removes the Makefile.
Even in that case, it is usually enough to do something like

  [ ! -f Makefile ] || $(MAKE) clean

...but in pbuilder's case, "make clean" leaves the Makefile untouched,
it simply executes some "rm -f ..." commands which should always succeed.

> r3793-misc-depends.patch -- Is this needed?

Well, the debhelper documentation has been saying for some time that
it is highly recommended that packages add a misc:Depends so that
debhelper may specify additional dependencies.  It hasn't been *needed*
for any of my packages so far, but it may well be when debhelper itself
changes in the future, e.g. executes something in a postinst script and
needs that something to be a dependency.  It is used, in particular, by
dh_installxfonts and dh_installdebconf for cdebs.

For the present, it is not strictly needed for pbuilder, but since
the debhelper docs recommend it highly, and lintian warns about it,
I don't see any harm in adding it to prevent future mishaps.

> r3794-gpl-symlink.patch -- okay, accepted.
>
> r3795-long-description-line.patch -- okay, accepted
>
> r3796-hyphen-used-as-minus-sign.patch -- hmmm... was this still needed?

What do you mean, "still"? :)  All the "-" that I changed to "\-" in
the manual pages are indeed minus signs, not hyphens, and they might
cause trouble if somebody copy-and-pastes from a, say, HTML-rendered
manpage, or a manpage rendered "prettily" in some encoding that decides
to use a character different than the ASCII "-".  The thing that is
copied into the clipboard and then pasted onto the command line will
*not* be a "-" character, and pbuilder will not recognize it as an option.
That's the main reason that lintian warns about this.

> r3797-example-script-shebang.patch -- accepted
>
> r3801-all-target.patch -- accepted
>
> r3799-policy-3.8.1.patch -- accepted
>
> r3798-debhelper-5.patch -- accepted along with below.
> r3800-debhelper-7.patch -- accepted; is this all the changes required?

With all of the above (esp. the misc:Depends thing), yes.

> r3802-debhelper-dh-tool.patch -- I am deferring this because I haven't yet had time to review this change.
> r3803-debhelper-override-targets.patch -- ditto.
> r3816-policy-3.8.2.patch -- is no changes the right thing here?

Yes, the changes between 3.8.1 and 3.8.2 are not relevant to pbuilder.

Once again, thanks for taking the time to review these patches!

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev	roam at ringlet.net    roam at space.bg    roam at FreeBSD.org