btrfsbuilder

Adrian von Bidder avbidder at fortytwo.ch
Thu Dec 2 07:48:13 UTC 2010

Heyho!

On Thursday 02 December 2010 01.01:29 Adrian Friedli wrote:

> How do you thought of integrating it with pbuilder? Have it as a wrapper
> script and ship it in the same package or integrate it in the pbuilder
> script itself?

Originally, my idea was to implement it in pbuilder by making it a "--btrfs"
option or similar.  I guess I'll have a look at the pbuilder code one of
these days.  OTOH the wrapper approach you used seems to work well enough,
so maybe it could stay like that and just be shipped with pbuilder as an
add-on.

> > On a first try, it works, but integration with eatmydata is highly
> > desirably, as the many fsync() calls from dpkg hurt performance in
> > btrfs a lot more than in ext3.
>
> I didn't know eatmydata yet, it sounds promising and has a nice name for
> a package :-). I haven't looked at it yet, but wouldn't it be best when
> integrated in pbuilder itself?

IMO since pbuilder is "only" ever working on temporary data, integrating
eatmydata by default should be safe.  It would need to be used both during
chroot creation/instantiation and also inside the chroot during package
builds.

When I get time to look at pbuilder for the btrfs stuff, I'll also try to
look into this.

cheers
-- vbi

--
"Valentine's Day is the one holiday when everyone is expected to do
something romantic for their spouse or lover -- and if someone has both,