Using apt-get instead of aptitude

Loïc Minier lool at dooz.org
Tue Jan 5 16:45:49 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jan 05, 2010, Pedro I. Sanchez wrote:
> I'm working on an embedded device (ARM CPU) with low memory (64 MB)
> and aptitude always fails to run because it can't fork some
> processes. However, apt-get is rock solid and never fails.
>
> I'm trying to use pbuilder in this environment to back-port some
> packages, but because it uses aptitude to upgrade the rootfs it
> fails with this error:
>
> FATAL -> Failed to fork.
>
> So I wonder, is it possible to force pbuilder to use apt-get
> instead? How? (a full log follows my signature).

 You could try the other pbuilder-satisfydepends-* commands (see
 description in pbuilder and pbuilderrc man pages), or simply add swap?

 In theory, you could write a resolver which uses apt-get instead of
 aptitude, but it probably wouldn't work as well as the aptitude one for
 NotAutomatic: yes repos such as Debian experimental -- but you probably
 don't need that.

    Cheers,
--
Loïc Minier