'd-p1' can handle lenny-backports jaunty-proposed ... w/o preload

Osamu Aoki osamu at debian.org
Mon Jan 25 14:55:53 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 10:56:13PM +0100, Loïc Minier wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 24, 2010, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> > one wants to compile package for some proposed-archive or
> > security-archive while using all the updated backage as its parents and
> > supplimented with base distribution via APT while it needs to be created
> > by debootstrap using its base distribution.
> >
> > It is easier to explain with a table.
> >
> >  --distribution option   debootstrap          APT line
> >  target distribution(T)  base distribution(B) T+B
> >  $DISTRIBUTION           $DISTRIBUTION_BASE
> >
> >  jaunty-updates          jaunty               jaunty-updates jaunty
> >  lenny-proposed-...      lenny                lenny-proposed-...  lenny
> >  lenny                   lenny                lenny
>
>  Right; I absolutely get the plan here, I was just disturbed by using
>  the name "distribution".  I thought a bit about it, and am ok with
>  using distribution.  We can use "suite" for jaunty and transport the
>  jaunty-updates stuff with "pockets".  I'm not sure what
>  lenny-proposed-updates would be called.  I'll think about it.  Don't
>  worry too much about it, it's just a naming issue and because it's
>  encoded in the flag name and man page and configs and hence hard to
>  change, I'm just thinking a bit too hard about long term meaning of
>  --distribution.

Please note I am only using valid 2nd entry names for
/etc/apt/sources.list deb/deb-src line.  First is "--mirror" entry and
2nd is "--distribution", 3rd is "--component".

> > If you have clearler naming convention, let me know.
>
>  Yeah, I'll try to come up with something; didn't find much so far.
>  Debootstrap uses "suites", in Launchpad Ubuntu suites have "pockets"
>  (updates, backports, security, proposed), debmirror uses dists... And
>  then there are these weird things like experimental.  ;-)

How about "target" at which we build package.  This is neutral.

Let's keep "profile" independent from the target choice.  "profile"
should be defined and managed only by the user.  (I saw some new branch.)

Osamu