pbuilder maintenance (ITA)

Andreas Henriksson andreas at fatal.se
Thu Jun 25 08:13:18 UTC 2015

Hello all!

On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 02:37:48AM -0500, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> Quoting Mattia Rizzolo (2015-06-25 01:37:09)
> > On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 11:10:21PM +0900, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> >> Let me share something from the past.
> >>
> >> I had itches to add simple command line UI to support multiple
> >> distributions .... then my momentum was lost when I found to use
> >> git-pbuilder as a wrapper.  So much for short introduction of myself.
> >
> > umh? multiple distributions on the cmd line? I fail to see what would
> > be the point :)
>
> Sounds like a need I have too: After packaging officially for Debian
> unstable/experimental I may want to rebuild unofficially for
> testing/stable/oldstable for amd64 and i386.
>
> With my wrappers in git://source.jones.dk/bin I do it like this:
>
> localgitcowdebuild jessie jessie-ia32 Wheezy+hacks --git-ignore-new

There's already a packaged, maintained, promoted solution for this.
Please see {p,cow}builder-dist (in ubuntu-dev-tools package).

While at it, I'd also like to take the chance to promote wiki pages
which has useful information for working with pbuilder and already
provide solutions to common problems:
https://wiki.debian.org/PbuilderTricks
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PbuilderHowto

I doubt we need even more variant solutions to the same problem.
If anything, please just package up a sane(r) default configuration (for
example from the debian wiki page above). Ofcourse, changing config
might always risk breaking peoples custom configurations so it might
be easier to just point people to pbuilder-dist.

Regards,
Andreas Henriksson