Exporting build results even if the build fails

Christopher Baines chris at cbaines.net
Sun Nov 29 15:14:43 UTC 2015

On 26/11/15 23:12, Mattia Rizzolo wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 26, 2015 at 08:49:20PM +0000, Christopher Baines wrote:
>> Currently pbuilder does not export build results (*.deb, *.tar.*, *.dsc,
>> ...) or additional build results if the package build fails.
>
> umh, wait, what do you export if the build fails?
> except for the sources I and the half-built tree I can't think about
> anything else (unless you are dealing with non-that-easy packages where
> you build something, then clean up everything and rebuild differently so
> you already have a .deb even if don't already have finished).
>
>> I patch pbuilder locally to make this happen, and would be interested in
>> hearing if you would accept some patches for this?
>
> well, I'm really open to patches :)
> maybe try post them somewhere so I can grasp better what you would like?
>
>> The use case I have for this feature, is exporting files that inform on
>> why the build failed (test logs, ...).
>
> ok, so you do want to copy over the full half-built tree, right?

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I have put some proposed changes up on a branch here [1].

1:
http://git.cbaines.net/pbuilder/log/?h=export-additional-buildresults-on-build-failure

I tried to put some context in the commit messages, but as a more
concrete example, I have a Jenkins instance that runs jobs which involve
running pbuilder. py.test, which runs as part of the package build
process outputs a file (containing jUnit XML), this file is listed as a
additional build result, such that it gets copied to the Jenkins working
directory, and then read by Jenkins for display in the web interface.
The above patch means that the test results will be displayed when the
tests fail (and the package build fails), as well as when the tests all
pass (and the package build succeeds).