[Pcsclite-muscle] Gemalto (was Gemplus) GemPC Key SmartCard Reader not working in debian stretch

Ludovic Rousseau ludovic.rousseau at gmail.com
Mon May 22 09:38:26 UTC 2017

> Hi,

Hello,

> i will try to collect this data.
>
> An other thing i forgot to mention here - for me the bug only encountered
> on arm architecture (i have no idea why…) - the same lib versions on i386 /
> amd64 did worked.

I suspect a bug in the USB hardware or USB Linux layer of your arm platform
then.

I just talked to a USB expert and the reader (USB device) has no idea of
the reception buffer size. So the problem should not be in the reader (for
this bug).

I found the problem by adding some debug lines - to see where it does not
> get the correct answer. At this point i recongnised that the lib request to
> ready 65535 bytes from the usb stack - which seemed to be too much ;-). So
> i simply used a fixed value - which will be enough for my needs (signing a
> 256 bytes hash). But as said - this is just a workaround for me - no bug
> fix.
>
> The only difference i found between the two sticks is - that the one which
> worked announced on more speed entry than the other stick. The rest ist
> identically.

Without your change you have a working reader and a non working one?

Using the same hardware and software platform?

> Here is the original thread for reference:
> http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pcsclite-muscle/
> Week-of-Mon-20170220/000823.html
>
> I forgot to answer - sorry.
>
> The plattform is not a 2 byte int plattform.
>

> The bug must be somewhere, where it does calculate the read size…

Try to upgrade to a recent Linux kernel.
Are you using Linux?

Bye

--
 Dr. Ludovic Rousseau