[Pcsclite-muscle] HELP! Any experience on smart card chip wearing?

Dirk-Willem van Gulik dirkx at webweaving.org
Mon Sep 8 10:48:16 UTC 2014

> On 08 Sep 2014, at 12:04, Umberto Rustichelli <umberto.rustichelli at gt50.org> wrote:
>
> On 09/08/2014 11:49 AM, Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:
>>> On 08 Sep 2014, at 11:00, Umberto Rustichelli <umberto.rustichelli at gt50.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> First of all, thanks everybody for the prompt help.
>>> Maybe I should first notice that we ran a test with >2 million signatures befre going into production but with different cards: we could not test the customer's cards because we don't have them. The family is InCard but cards families are so... crowded…
>> Can you extract a bit more detail about the card/ATR/firmware ? We’ve found the STMicroelectronics cards quite reliable; and Napoli and Catania teams quite easy to work with when it came to technical issues/bugs.
>
> This is the card ATR. For signature operations, this family of cards seems to be quite reliable by us, indeed:
>
> 3b:ff:18:00:ff:81:31:fe:55:00:6b:02:09:03:03:01:01:01:43:4e:53:10:31:80:9d

Ok - 	that looks like the sort of Italian Chamber of Commerce/regione calabria cards we’ve seen - those are STMicro, Incard - and pretty much all we have handled are on InCrypto34 V2. As far as we know - they use the st19xl34p - and very similar models are in use in Germany in the medical sector as well.

For what it is worth - we find that we can do, using SPR532 readers, virtually unlimited signs with these; using a single C_Login/session per power-up.

For practical purposes we reset/re-login the card every first sunday of the month (as this simplifies operational process and planned maintenance windows, nothing technical). Our longest flawless non power cycled run has been around 8.5 million signatures.

BUT we have settled on the SPR532 readers (and in newer units; USB tokens) as the low cost readers gave us severe issues; and we are using OHCI usb chips with just one reader/port with a bit of ferrite coiling. The reason for this was that we had quite a bit of power/corruption issues with the simpler readers and when using normal USB hubs. This manifested itself as simultaneous short spikes on the D+/D- wires during smartcard operations - even when the operation on the USB wire was in fact going to a different reader.

Dw