[Pcsclite-muscle] Changes to pcscd for XSpice support

Ludovic Rousseau ludovic.rousseau at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 21:21:43 UTC 2014

> Hi Folks,

Hello,

> I'm working on adding SmartCard support to 'XSpice'.
>
> XSpice is a virtual Xorg driver connected to a spice server; think VNC
> server, but with Spice.  Primary page is spice-space.org, and the discussion
> on the spice-devel mailing list on this topic is given in [1].

I did not know Spice or XSpice.

> XSpice has no VM; just multiple Xorg frame buffers running on the target
> server.  It is used by clients running on remote hardware; those clients
> have full pcsc stacks of their own, and are capable of passing APDU data to
> the XSpice server.  The challenge is that we want applications (e.g.
> Firefox, xdm) running on top of that frame buffer to have access to the
> client smart card data.  But we don't want clients to mix; we want each
> client to have a fully separated smart card channel.
>
> I have a proposed design that seems sound from an XSpice perspective. The
> core idea is to preserve the application use of libpcsclite and libcoolkey
> libraries by providing a per user instance of pcscd.  There would be a
> custom spiceccd driver which would communicate with the XSpice server, and
> would provide pcscd with a virtual device to manage.
>
> This does have implications for pcscd, though, and I was hoping to describe
> my use case and see if it makes sense.
>
> Specifically, my plan would involve modifying pcscd to permit
> PCSCLITE_IPC_DIR to be provided by configuration, rather than being a
> compile time constant.
>
> If my plan seems sensible, I'd be curious to know if patches with those
> changes would be accepted here.  If not, I'd be curious to hear alternate
> ideas of how to accomplish this.

Maybe you should have a look at this, now old, patch [1].
It should allow an application to be connected to a specific pcscd.

I don't know what you understand by "we want each client to have a
fully separated smart card channel".
Will you have one different (physical) smart card reader per client application?

Bye

[1] http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pcsclite-cvs-commit/2010-November/004926.html

--
 Dr. Ludovic Rousseau