[Pcsclite-muscle] Client code review request

Ludovic Rousseau ludovic.rousseau at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 09:36:18 UTC 2014

> On Thu, 2014-11-13 at 20:25 +0100, Ludovic Rousseau wrote:
>> > I think this is something that pcsclite basically defines, and the
>> IFD
>> > drivers ought to follow. Either you declare that it's all UTF-8,
>> > everywhere (which is the sane option in 2014), or you declare that
>> it
>> > follows $LC_CTYPE (which I think would parallel the Windows
>> > SCardListReadersA function).
>>
>> Since valid charaters are ([A-Z]|[a-z]|[0-9]|[
>> \t]|[!@#$%^&*()\-+/_\:?.,=~'";\[\]])+ we can declare that only a
>> subset of ASCII is supported.
>
> Well, that's an implementation detail rather than something the API
> guarantees, but OK. It would be nice if the relevant documentation (on
> the PC/SC API side as well as the interface for the IFD drivers) would
> clearly *mandate* UTF-8 (since your supported chars ⊂ ASCII ⊂ UTF-8).

Fixed in revision 7041.
I updated the online version:
- SCardListReaders()
http://pcsclite.alioth.debian.org/api/group__API.html#ga93b07815789b3cf2629d439ecf20f0d9
- IFDHandler ifdFriendlyName
http://pcsclite.alioth.debian.org/api/group__IFDHandler.html

> That way, when a hypothetical generic CCID class driver *does* start to
> pull device names out of USB descriptors it can do the right thing.

On pcsc-lite, the reader name is NOT selected by the running driver.
I note the point for an hypothetical generic CCID class driver.

Some more details about a pcsc-lite reader name is provided in "What
is in a PC/SC reader name? " [1].

Bye

[1] http://ludovicrousseau.blogspot.fr/2010/05/what-is-in-pcsc-reader-name.html

--