[Pcsclite-muscle] Problem using a "GnuPG card V2" smartcard with a "Gemalto USB Shell Token V2" reader

Nicolas Boullis nboullis at debian.org
Tue Dec 9 09:13:43 UTC 2014

Hi list,

I recently bought a Gemalto USB Shell Token V2 reader and a GnuPG card
V2 smartcard to user with GnuPG through pcscd.
It works fine on my laptop computer but fails on my desktop computer.
I first thought it was a configuration issue, so I tried with the same
live distribution (Debian Wheezy LXDE live) on both computers, and it
still works on the laptop computer and fails on the desktop computer.

As far as I can tell, pcsc_scan correctly detects the reader and the
smart card on both computers.

For what it’s worth, both my computers are running an up-to-date Debian
Wheezy, with pcsc-lite 1.8.4-1+deb7u1 and libccid 1.4.7-1.
Running "/usr/sbin/pcscd --version" on the desktop gives:
  pcsc-lite version 1.8.4.
  Copyright (C) 1999-2002 by David Corcoran <corcoran at linuxnet.com>.
  Copyright (C) 2001-2011 by Ludovic Rousseau <ludovic.rousseau at free.fr>.
  Copyright (C) 2003-2004 by Damien Sauveron <sauveron at labri.fr>.
  Report bugs to <muscle at lists.musclecard.com>.
  Enabled features: Linux x86_64-pc-linux-gnu serial usb libudev usbdropdir=/usr/lib/pcsc/drivers ipcdir=/var/run/pcscd configdir=/etc/reader.conf.d

A log of pcscd (as suggested on
http://pcsclite.alioth.debian.org/pcsclite.html#support) is attached to
this message.

The laptop computer is an old Asus EEEPC 701 netbook. The desktop
computer is a newer Apple Mac Mini (2012 version). The most significant
differences I can think of are:
 - 64-bit CPU for the desktop vs. 32-bit CPU for the laptop (but I tried
   both with a 32-bit live distribution)
 - USB3 for the desktop vs. USB2 for the laptop.

Any idea is welcome, I really want to use my smartcard on both
computers.

Cheers,

--
Nicolas Boullis