[Pcsclite-muscle] Looking/developing magstripe API

Dmitry Eremin-Solenikov dbaryshkov at gmail.com
Sun May 8 09:41:01 UTC 2016

Hello,

> What would be your usecase?

I'm toying with the set of tools working with EMV cards
(github.com/lumag/emv-tools).

> First of all, do you know of any mainstream enduser devices that provide
> simultaneous reading of both the chip and magstripe, via the same interface?
> I expect such devices exist in the ATM OEM industry, but have no idea about
> the interfaces they provide.

Not at this moment. I had a hybrid desktop card reader several years ago, but
I've never checked what was the actual interface between the host and
the reader.

> How would that work? There are no existing standard drivers (except for
> serial interfaces) for magstripe readers I know of. There is no API in the
> winscard interface for this (introducing arbitrary SCardReadMagstripe would
> be as useful as some HSM companies having "standard PKCS#11 modules" with
> extra C_* functions not described by spec nor implemented in interoperable
> software).

Yes, that is the point for my original question. Right now I'm using the USB
reader using HID interface (either proprietary or keyboard class). I of course
can include all drivers into my tool, however that seems counterproductive.

I'd go for writing a shared library or shared resource daemon (like PC/SC),
if there was no question about hybrid or shared in any other way readers.

> On Sat, 7 May 2016 at 12:31 Dmitry Eremin-Solenikov <dbaryshkov at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have been looking for the API to access MagStripe readers for quite
>> some time. Are there any plans to add
>> magstripe extension to the PC/SC (or proprietary extension to
>> pcsc-lite)? It would be extremely useful to
>> receive such data from hybrid (ICC + stripe) readers.
>>
>> --
>> With best wishes
>> Dmitry

With best wishes