[Pcsclite-muscle] Gemalto (was Gemplus) GemPC Key SmartCard Reader not working in debian stretch

Ludovic Rousseau ludovic.rousseau at gmail.com
Mon May 22 09:05:42 UTC 2017

> Hi,

Hello,

> i did had the same bug - it seems that some Gemalto Sticks (not all) have
> a problem in the firmware intitalize procedure. Because of this problem you
> get a too big usb read bytes request - which will then fail…

Very interesting.

Can you send me the output of the GNU/Linux command "lsusb -v" for your
bogus device?
And also the lines logged by the Linux kernel when you connect the device.

Same question with a non-bogus device if you have one.

How have you found the work around?
Have you used a USB hardware spy or something similar?

I am surprised to see that changing the _reception_ buffer length has an
effect. The USB device should not know this buffer size. But I am not a USB
expert.

> Attached a workaround for this problem - which does work for me.
>
> But as stated - this is a workaround - not a real bug fix.

The workaround has a bad size effect that reader responses of more than
4096 bytes would have problems.
Before I apply any workaround I need to understand why your change makes
the reader work.

Bye

--
 Dr. Ludovic Rousseau