Maintaining perl

Jeremiah Foster jeremiah at jeremiahfoster.com
Thu Jan 8 10:49:20 UTC 2009

Hello!

	First, thanks Niko for setting this list up and for your other work
making the perl interpreter group maintainable. I think this is a
really great initiative, making perl in debian more accessible to
everyone. I also think Brendan O'Dea has done an amazing job with perl
in debian as well, so I want to thank him as well.

	Second, I'm interested in this for a number of reasons; using git for
packaging will be really cool, maintaing the perl interpreter will be
a hard and interesting task - I suspect it requires more work and
commitment, seeing over time the changes to the perl binary as perl 5
moves to perl 6 will be really interesting.

	I think we ought to have some policy docs as Niko mentioned in his
email to debian-perl. This will help prevent mistakes and make the
procedures clear and allow for new people to get up to speed quickly.

	Thanks again, hello to everyone, and I look forward to some fun
debian hacking!

Jeremiah