perl-topgit repository

Niko Tyni ntyni at debian.org
Sun Jan 25 14:05:43 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jan 04, 2009 at 07:17:52PM +0200, Niko Tyni wrote:
> I've been playing with TopGit lately, and I now have a working
> prototype for using it with the Perl packaging.
>
> The idea is to make all changes to upstream code in separate branches and
> then generate debian/patches for each release. The patch stack generated
> by TopGit is primarily intended for 'quilt' consumption, but as we want
> the patches applied at 'dpkg-source -x' time, we currently can't use
> quilt easily. Hence I haven't touched the custom patch/unpatch system
> more than was strictly necessary.
>
> I'm hoping that dpkg v3 source formats will get accepted by the archive
> after Lenny, that would make things much simpler. See #457345 and
>  http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2008/04/msg00004.html
> for some background.

I have now pushed the TopGit branches to our main perl.git repository.
The sid debcheckout is TopGit-aware, so 'debcheckout perl' is probably
the easiest way to use it. You still need a locally-tracked 'upstream'
branch, I haven't found a way around that.

There are some instructions in the new debian/README.source file.

If anybody wants to get up to speed with the repository, one job is
to go through the Provides/Replaces/Conflics lines in debian/control,
wrap them and check how up to date they are. At least libsys-syslog-perl
(there's an open bug about this) and libthreads-shared-perl need to be
added, and some of the versions may be out of date.

I'm not quite sure what we should do with things like libpod-parser-perl
that haven't had separate packages for quite a while. Remove the
Provides/Replaces/Conflics at some point (after oldstable?) or just keep
them around forever to support local versions packaged with dh-make-perl?
While none of the individual ones are very expensive, they do make the
apt dependency tree more complicated.

Fiddling with debian/control doesn't need any TopGit-fu, just hack on
the 'master' branch, commit and push.

Oh, and welcome Jeremiah, and sorry for not greeting you earlier :)
--
Niko