'perl-modules' -> 'perl' transition

Don Armstrong don at donarmstrong.com
Fri Oct 23 15:34:56 UTC 2009

On Fri, 23 Oct 2009, Eugene V. Lyubimkin wrote:
> Don Armstrong wrote:
> > On Fri, 23 Oct 2009, Eugene V. Lyubimkin wrote:
> >> Perl maintainers are to merge the package 'perl-modules' to 'perl'.
> >
> > Can I ask why?
> >
> > perl currently is architecture any, whereas perl-modules is
> > architecture all, so this seems like a step backwards.
>
> The rationale is available in the thread at

The only valid reason I see there is the issue of an architecture
failing if it is out of sync, but that's easily solvable with an =
dependency on the source version of the perl-modules package from
perl.

Circular dependencies between two packages, one arch all and the other
arch any, should never be a problem. If you don't agree, can you at
least raise this on -devel for discussion before proceeding? I'd
rather everyone avoid useless work.

Don Armstrong

--
I really wanted to talk to her.
I just couldn't find an algorithm that fit.