Perl 5.14 packaging underway

Dominic Hargreaves dom at earth.li
Mon Apr 25 21:16:03 UTC 2011

On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 05:27:05PM +0300, Niko Tyni wrote:
> for once, I found some hack time this weekend so I put together
> preliminary Perl 5.14.0-RC1 packaging. See
>
>     git://git.debian.org/perl/perl-5.14.git
>
> I've tested this only as far as installing it and building
> liblocale-gettext-perl.

Great!

> Dominic: just in case you have some spare time+cycles for another mass
> rebuild, I'm sure upstream would very much appreciate any breakage
> reports before the actual 5.14.0 release.

I'll see what I can do. I assume that the native version number was a
mistake?

> Merging the Debian changes was mostly straightforward, the only exception
> was debian/cpan_config_path. Some notes follow:
>
> It looks like upstream CPAN no longer tries to write a CPAN::Config file
> if it doesn't exist already, but falls back to CPAN::MyConfig under
> $HOME. This needs further inspection, but if the analysis correct,
> debian/cpan_config_path.diff can probably be dropped.
>
> I suspect fixes/processPL is long obsolete, but I haven't been
> able to get quite to the bottom of it.
>
> fixes/hurd-ccflags should be forwarded upstream.
>
> debian/extutils_hacks needs a review.
>
> debian/devel-ppport-ia64-optim and debian/arm_optim may well be obsolete.
>
> A few tests in t/porting needed to be patched if we want to be able to
> build the beast in a different Git repository from upstream's. See the
> debian/skip-upstream-git-tests branch.
>
> feature.pm needed to be moved to perl-base, it's needed by File::Glob.
>
> autodie.pm versioning is a bit strange: the bundled version (2.1001)
> has diverted from CPAN (2.10). I used 2.10.01 for the versioned Breaks
> so we don't force the separate package to pick up four digit versions
> just for this.
>
> Devel::DProf is getting removed in 5.16 (along with Shell), so it needs to
> be packaged separately. No Recommends+Breaks yet.

Would it be worth putting this list of outstanding tasks on the wiki?

> Last but not least, I finally wrote a tool to
>
> # 1) check the versioned Breaks against Module::CoreList information
> #
> # 2) check that all Breaks entries have appropriate Replaces and Provides
> #    entries
> #
> # 3) check that there are no packages in the Debian archive (as seen via
> #    the local apt package cache) that should have Breaks/Replaces/Provides
> #    entries
>
> It's not very pretty but it's a lot better than nothing. I've put
> it in the perl source package as debian/check-control and added it
> to the (manual) 'new-build' debian/rules target (but ignored any errors.)
>
> My intention is to keep all the tests passing for all the development
> branches, but bit rot might change things in the future. There are a
> few places for hardcoding foreseeable exceptions like separate Debian
> packages gaining more digits in their version numbers.
>
> I have updated the 5.14 debian/control file based on the results. There
> are also a few discrepancies on the 5.10 and 5.12 side:
>
> sid/5.10.1-20:

Probably too late in the day to change those.

> experimental/5.12.3-4:
> #   Failed test 'Breaks for libmodule-build-perl in perl-modules matches Module::CoreList for Module::Build'
> #   at ../check-breaks/check-breaks line 172.
> #          got: '0.360301'
> #     expected: '0.360300'
>
> #   Failed test 'Breaks for libextutils-parsexs-perl in perl-modules matches Module::CoreList for ExtUtils::ParseXS'
> #   at ../check-breaks/check-breaks line 172.
> #          got: '2.2100'
> #     expected: '2.210000'
>
> #   Failed test 'Breaks for libfile-path-perl in perl-modules matches Module::CoreList for File::Path'
> #   at ../check-breaks/check-breaks line 172.
> #          got: '2.09'
> #     expected: '2.08.01'
>
> #   Failed test 'Breaks for libtime-piece-perl in perl matches Module::CoreList for Time::Piece'
> #   at ../check-breaks/check-breaks line 172.
> #          got: '1.15'
> #     expected: '1.15.01'
>
> #   Failed test 'no potential packages for new Provides/Replaces/Breaks found in the archive'
> #   at ../check-breaks/check-breaks line 199.
> #          got: 'libmath-complex-perl libextutils-command-perl libdigest-perl libextutils-install-perl'
> #     expected: ''
> # Looks like you failed 5 tests of 191.

If we are pushing ahead with 5.12, we could do with fixing these, though.
Would it make sense to commit your tool to perl-5.12?

Dominic.