planning for wheezy

Dominic Hargreaves dom at earth.li
Sun Aug 14 17:54:36 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 12:25:29PM +0100, Dominic Hargreaves wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 10, 2011 at 09:11:03AM +0300, Niko Tyni wrote:
> > given the release team's announcement about us freezing in June 2012   [1],
> > and the Perl release schedule aiming for 5.16.0 to be out in April/May [2],
> > I think it's pretty clear that we should aim for Perl 5.14 in wheezy.
> >
> > It seems unrealistic that we could get enough packages in shape for 5.16
> > right before the freeze, and there's no reason that I can see to stay
> > with 5.12.
> >
> > Unless somebody thinks otherwise, I think we should discuss a 5.14 transition
> > schedule with the release team soonish, and probably also make an announcement
> > on the debian-perl list.
>
> Yes, this sounds like the right approach, although I think I would like to
> get 5.14.1 and a new series of rebuild testing done first (I may be able
> to make a start on that next week).

I sent a message to debian-perl a few weeks ago[1] which is at least a
heads-up, and I've now filed a bug with the release team as #637809.

The blocker list doesn't look *too* bad, though clearly there is more
work to do. The list of perl 5.14-specific issues (not all blocking the
transition) is at [2] as usual.

[1] <http://lists.debian.org/debian-perl/2011/07/msg00114.html>
[2] <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?tag=perl-5.14-transition;users=debian-perl@lists.debian.org>