planning for wheezy

Niko Tyni ntyni at debian.org
Sun Jul 10 06:11:03 UTC 2011

Hi folks,

given the release team's announcement about us freezing in June 2012   [1],
and the Perl release schedule aiming for 5.16.0 to be out in April/May [2],
I think it's pretty clear that we should aim for Perl 5.14 in wheezy.

It seems unrealistic that we could get enough packages in shape for 5.16
right before the freeze, and there's no reason that I can see to stay
with 5.12.

Unless somebody thinks otherwise, I think we should discuss a 5.14 transition
schedule with the release team soonish, and probably also make an announcement
on the debian-perl list.

There's one bigger change that might be appropriate for 5.14: switching to
a versioned vendorarch directory (currently /usr/lib/perl5) [3]. We don't
*have* to do it with this transition, but it seems that there's a window
where it's possible. I think it should eventually make major version
upgrades more robust.

Hm, given there's no real time pressure for this change, I/we should
probably just decouple it from 5.14, discuss it in a policy bug and see
about the schedule if/when there's consensus. So never mind.

Thoughts?

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2011/06/msg00003.html