perl git repository reorganization: now using git-dpm

Dominic Hargreaves dom at earth.li
Sun Jun 12 16:22:51 UTC 2011

Hi all,

A couple of weeks ago Niko and I (mostly Niko) started experimenting
with git-dpm as a replacement for topgit, to improve the packaging
workflow. We have both found it very nice and in general a better fit
for our needs than topgit. One feature in particular is that we can
handle multiple debian branches (eg 5.12 and 5.14) in one repository,
which should mean no more untidy repository cloning on git.debian.org.

The git-dpm migration has now been completed on the perl.git on
alioth:

git://anonscm.debian.org/perl/perl.git
git+ssh://git.debian.org/git/perl/perl.git
http://anonscm.debian.org/git/perl/perl.git

If you have an existing clone of perl.git, note that there is no longer
a master branch but instead debian-5.12 and debian-5.14 branches.

There is general information about git-dpm at
<http://git-dpm.alioth.debian.org/> with some useful examples at
<http://git-dpm.alioth.debian.org/examples.html>
and some specific notes for perl at
<http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=perl/perl.git;a=blob;f=debian/README.source>