perl post-wheezy

Niko Tyni ntyni at debian.org
Thu May 9 10:52:48 UTC 2013

Moving this public, we've been discussing things in private
mostly accidentally.

in sid/jessie. There's a debian-5.17 branch based on 5.17.11 on the git
repo that will probably be renamed debian-5.18 soon.

On Thu, May 09, 2013 at 10:39:42AM +0100, Dominic Hargreaves wrote:
> On Thu, May 09, 2013 at 10:25:14AM +0300, Niko Tyni wrote:
> > On Tue, May 07, 2013 at 11:35:56PM +0100, Dominic Hargreaves wrote:
> >
> > > Okay, done. It needs much more testing (I haven't actually got further
> > > than investigating the -Werror=format-security issue[1] yet) but I have
> > > updated the dual-lived module deps. Copyright review still todo. Would
> > > welcome a fresh set of eyes on the overall merging. My notes are attached
> > > in case they are of use.

> > I had a look an updated debian/copyright (looking for 'copyright'
> > and 'license' in the diff against 5.16, so I may have missed something.)
> > Please have a look at the hv_func.h license mess and let me know if you
> > think I'm overdoing it.
>
> Will do.
>
> > No testing yet.
> >
> > The format-security thing cropping up on only i386 is weird.  I think I
> > noticed something similar with the XS modules when the hardening flags
> > were added. gcc clearly does something arch specific here. Possibly this
> > is a bug worth reporting, particularly if there's an easy test case.
>
> It's reported and there's a fix pending at
>
> https://rt.perl.org/rt3/Ticket/Display.html?id=117893
>
> Sorry that I missed that off my previous message!

No, I meant a report against gcc about the arch specific difference
with format string warnings.

> > Some observations:
> >
> > - debian/released-versions needs an update. The current version needs
> >   to be there for it to appear in the perlapi-* substvar.
>
> Ah yes, of course.
>
> > - debian/patches/debian/skip-kfreebsd-crash.diff seems obsolete?
>
> Okay, will check.
>
> > - there are quite a few new deprecated modules. I found
> >     Archive::Extract
> >     B::Lint
> >     CPANPLUS
> >     Devel::InnerPackage
> >     Log::Message
> >     Module::Pluggable
> >     Object::Accessor
> >     Term::UI
> >     Term::UI::History
> >   These probably need to be separate packaged etc.
> > - encoding.pm (in cpan/Encode/encoding.pm) is now deprecated;
> >   it would probably be useful to grep for
> >     Use of the encoding pragma is deprecated
> >   in the build logs and file bugs once we're that far.
>
> Yep. I think we have a reasonably well oiled machine for a lot of this
> now, which is nice. There's a separate bug for deprecations already:

Ah, yes. Thanks, I'll update that bug.

> > > http://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git/commit/4f9ffe5913849a7e1b1b2efa4cce3e0d0ec3a790
> >
> > Yay, so now we just rename the branch to debian-5.18 ? :)
>
> Yep, I wasn't expecting debian-5.17 to stay around for a long time :)
>
> I will pick up some next steps at the weekend, hopefully.

OK, I'll see what I can do too.

> Shall we move this to perl at packages.debian.org (I'm happy for anything
> of mine in this mail to be quoted publicly).

Sure, doing that now.

Leaving the git-dpm notes below in case they are useful in the future.

Niko Tyni   ntyni at debian.org