perl 5.18 progress

Dominic Hargreaves dom at earth.li
Sun May 19 11:49:50 UTC 2013

On Sun, May 12, 2013 at 11:22:38PM +0100, Dominic Hargreaves wrote:
> My rebuilds have finished now, and only three package have syntax
> error messages on logs - the two you mentioned plus
> libopengl-xscreensaver-perl.
>
> The grep you suggest (against 5.16 logs, not 5.14 ones) also mention
> libcrypt-gcrypt-perl, libimager-qrcode-perl, libnet-dns-perl, xacobeo,
> some of which are currently failing for other reasons.
>
> Overall, 111 out of 636 packages rebuilt failed. Quite a few of these
> will be gcc/eglibc related failures, or failures to install build-deps,
> so it's not as scary a number as it first appears. I have started working
> through these and filing bugs, with more to come over the next week.
> The are collected at
> <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?tag=perl-5.18-transition;users=debian-perl@lists.debian.org>

I've now finished the initial analysis so all the failures I saw are now
accounted for at the above URL, and thanks to members of the pkg-perl
group (especially gregoa and Niko) quite a few have already been picked up.

Still TODO:

- upload 5.18.0-1
- rebuild non-XS perl modules (I'll hopefully do this once 5.18.0-1 is
  uploaded)
- package deprecated modules (see #702096)
- help fix bugs on the above list
- in particular #708792 (Sparc bus error)

I guess we're not quite in a position to estimate when a perl 5.18 might
happen, but it is probably worth talking about when we want to file
a transition bug (sooner rather than later?) and also whether there are
any other changes (multiarch being the obvious) we would like to make
part of the transition.