perl 5.18 progress

Dominic Hargreaves dom at earth.li
Mon May 20 19:25:19 UTC 2013

On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 09:22:20AM +0200, Niels Thykier wrote:
> On 2013-05-20 08:57, Russ Allbery wrote:
> > Niels Thykier <niels at thykier.net> writes:

Yep, already seen a few in my perlapi rebuilds:

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?tag=perl-5.18-transition;users=debian-perl@lists.debian.org

> >> Looks like at least 50 packages that will start to FTBFS if I am reading
> >> that graph right.  Personally, I would appreciate that these packages
> >> were fixed before we started the transition to avoid making the
> >> transition longer than it has to be.

Yep, certainly.

> > Note that this will only apply to packages that run pod2man during the
> > build.  It's not at all clear to me how many of those packages fall into
> > that category (I haven't looked).  [...]
> >
> > I'm also not completely positive that all of the various Perl module build
> > systems will fail on POD errors, since they may use Pod::Man directly
> > rather than running pod2man.  [...]
> >

> That is a fair point.  That said, the packages that will FTBFS because
> of this change would still need to be fixed.  If you can skip the subset
> that doesn't use pod2man, then it is "just" less work for you. :)

I expect to pick up some more of them with the lib*-perl arch: all
rebuilds I've just kicked off, but will also explictly test ones which
hit that lintian warning.

> > I notice that in several places people have added overrides for this tag.
> > I'd be very curious (as pod2man upstream) what the rationale is for those
> > overrides.
> >

> I feel that way with quite a few Lintian overrides. :)
>
> In the given case, it appears to only be libpoe-perl.  The overrides do
> not appear to have a(n extractable) comment according to the log on
> lintian.d.o.

The relevant change is

http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-perl/packages/libpoe-perl.git;a=commit;h=a70340a49d0305d46a56ce7ae3f297469285daaf

# non-empty Z<>