Plans for 5.20

Niko Tyni ntyni at debian.org
Sun May 11 08:40:51 UTC 2014

On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 09:41:44PM +0300, Niko Tyni wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 11:53:29PM +0100, Dominic Hargreaves wrote:

> > Niko, did you have any particular plans? What do you see the state of
> > the multiarch support these days - do you need input from others at the
> > moment and is this something you think might be ready to go in with
> > 5.20?

> I've sort of given up on the "full multiarch" thing for now. I think
> what we can do is just to mark perl as Multi-Arch: allowed (or maybe
> even foreign), and possibly perl-modules too. That doesn't need to be
> bundled with the major version update.

After thinking it over, I think now would be a good time to move
/usr/lib/perl5 and /usr/lib/perl/<VERSION> to the multiarch paths
(/usr/lib/<triplet>/perl5 and /usr/lib/<triplet>/perl/<VERSION>.

This is a necessary precondition for future Multi-Arch:same packages but
can be done in advance. It's easiest to do with an ABI change, when all
the XS modules need to be rebuilt anyway.

Packages should generally do the right thing, as long as they use
$Config{archlib} and $Config{vendorarch}, which well behaved packages do.
Still, this needs a Perl policy change.

I've pushed preliminary 5.19.11 packaging to our Alioth repository
as ntyni/debian-5.19. I haven't tagged it as those are pretty much
irrevocable, but f8ec2d0ebcf73f2bf19ccc15167bb70c18a56228 is the commit
I pushed. The last two commits are the multiarch related ones.

I suppose the next step should be some test rebuilds to get an idea of
the fallout. Ideally  one set of rebuilds with the multiarch commits
and one without them.

My first few smoke tests showed that liblocale-gettext-perl builds
successfully, but eperl and epic4 break do to the /usr/lib/perl ->
/usr/lib/<triplet> change, the latter silently by failing to detect
libperl and building without. OTOH, epic5 seems to work fine.
Niko Tyni   ntyni at debian.org