perldoc and Pod::Man

Niko Tyni ntyni at debian.org
Fri Sep 5 10:22:53 UTC 2014

Hi Russ,

it was nice to meet you at DebConf.

As you may recall, we talked briefly about this Pod-Perldoc change:

3.20 - Sat Apr 27 05:25:30 UTC 2013
    * Make default formatter "ToTerm" instead of "ToMan" for
      better UTF-8 support

and your opinion AIUI was that ToMan with the Pod::Man utf8 switch
would be a better choice.

I looked a bit into this, and some background is at

where people with older groffs and the like reported quite a few problems
which were eventually resolved by switching to ToTerm.

So it seems we're at an impasse. Please let me know if you have
ideas on improvement.

Maybe the default formatter should be made configurable at build time
so everyone could be happy...
--
Niko