[Pkg-alsa-devel] Bug#451266: The solution
alter_ego at vizzavi.pt
Sat Nov 17 00:08:49 UTC 2007
Well, I did further research about the "solution" suggested by Elimar.
Elimar suggestion is even worse than I initially thought. As a matter of
fact, his instructions do not actually set up pinning; they'll end up in
me upgrading to unstable!
With the due respect, It's a completely non-sense to ask someone to
change to another version just in order to (eventually) solve a bug that
it shouldn't exist in the first place.
It's like asking a Windows XP user to upgrade to Vista in order to solve
a Windows bug...
Well, back on track...
I did find the solution to this bug. It's very simple:
# cd /etc/modprobe.d
# mv alsa-base alsa-base.bak
# mv alsa-base.dpkg-old alsa-base
At some point of the abobe-mentioned safe-upgrade, aptitude showed me
Setting up alsa-base (1.0.15-2) ...
Configuration file `/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base'
==> Modified (by you or by a script) since installation.
==> Package distributor has shipped an updated version.
What would you like to do about it ? Your options are:
Y or I : install the package maintainer's version
N or O : keep your currently-installed version
D : show the differences between the versions
I didn't modified /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base, so I chose the option
"install the package maintainer's version".
And the bug in question resides on the package maintainer's version.
Choosing the option "keep your currently-installed version" would have
avoided the bug.
So, to solve the problem all I needed to do was to put back the original
"alsa-base", hence the command "mv alsa-base.dpkg-old alsa-base".
In the future package developers (and maintainers) should pay more
attention to the contents of file "/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base", before
introducing new alsa versions.
More information about the Pkg-alsa-devel