[Pkg-fonts-devel] Errors in recently uploaded packages

Christian Perrier bubulle at debian.org
Tue Dec 1 06:40:42 UTC 2009


I just discovered two errors in the packages we (mostly me) uploaded

For many of them (namely SIL fonts), I inadvertently set the package
name in the preinst script to things like "ttf-ttf-sil-ezra" instead
of "ttf-sil-ezra". I began updating some of them yesterday.

Worse than this, I discovered a logic error in ALL preinst scripts
we've use up to now.

We were using snippets like:

case "$1" in
    if dpkg --compare-versions "$2" lt-nl "$VERSION"; then
	if [ -f $FILE ]; then
        	if [ -x /usr/bin/defoma-font ]; then
			defoma-font purge-all $FILE || true
	rm_conffile $PKG $FILE

with $VERSION containing the number of the last version that was
providing a defoma hints file.

But I think the operator was not the right one. It should have been
"le-nl" as "$2" contains the number of the version one is upgrading

So, my analysis is that we should either put the number of the
*current* version in $VERSION (namely the first to *not* provide
a defoma hints file)....or that we should use "le-nl".

I will choose the first solution which seems safer. For packages that
already had the defoma hints file removed....but the wrong preinst
script, I will use it as well and, moreover, $VERSION will be in that
case, the version number of the package with the correct preinst
script, so that upgrades from packages with the wrong preinst script
are also properly handled and end up with no more hints file and an
updated defoma cache.

Sorry for the mess and the extra uploads that will happen (sorry to me
as well, because I just doubled my workload with that mistake).

-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 198 bytes
Desc: Digital signature
URL: <http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-fonts-devel/attachments/20091201/50684f96/attachment.pgp>

More information about the Pkg-fonts-devel mailing list