Conflict between Gnome, udev, hotplug and linux-2.4
rmh at aybabtu.com
Wed Nov 15 21:50:13 CET 2006
I've spotted a conflict between all these packages and am not sure which one is
in fault, so I'm CCing all the involved maintainers.
- gnome-desktop-environment depends on:
- gnome-volume-manager, which depends on:
- hal, which depends on:
- udev, which conflicts with:
We claim to that we support Linux 2.4 with etch userland, but:
- udev doesn't support linux 2.4 (at least not the version shipped with etch).
- installing the new gnome-desktop-environment got rid of hotplug.
This means after an upgrade chances are high that most of our devices are no
longer detected. Is there anything we can do to sort that out?
I would suggest letting hotplug and udev coexist, and turn hotplug into
"disabled mode" for Linux versions known to support udev. This way we ensure
that at least one of them will always work.
My spam trap is honeypot at aybabtu.com. Note: this address is only intended for
spam harvesters. Writing to it will get you added to my black list.
More information about the Pkg-gnome-maintainers