Mozilla Developer Preview (Gecko 1.9.3a1) available for download
L. David Baron
dbaron at dbaron.org
Wed Feb 10 20:11:05 UTC 2010
A Mozilla Developer Preview of improvements in the Gecko layout
engine is now available for download. This is a pre-release version
of the Gecko 1.9.3 platform, which forms the core of rich Internet
applications such as Firefox. Please note that this release is
intended for developers and testers only. As always, we appreciate
any feedback you may have and encourage users to help us by filing
This developer preview introduces several new features, including:
* Support for CSS Transitions. This support is not quite complete:
support for animation of transforms and gradients has not yet
* Support for SMIL Animation in SVG. Support for animating some
SVG attributes is still under development and the animateMotion
element isn't supported yet.
* Support for WebGL, which is disabled by default but can be
enabled by changing a preference. See this blog post and this
blog post for more details.
* Support for the getClientRects and getBoundingClientRect methods
on Range objects. See bug 396392 for details.
* Support for the setCapture and releaseCapture methods on DOM
elements. See bug 503943 for details.
* Support for the HTML5 History.pushState() and
History.replaceState() methods and the popstate event. See bug
500328 for details.
* Support for the -moz-image-rect() value for background-image.
See bug 113577 for more details.
and several other significant changes, including:
* On Mac OS X, we render text using Core Text rather than ATSUI.
* We rewrote major parts of the code for handling scrolling. See
bug 526394 for details.
* We rewrote the way a snapshot of a document is taken in order to
print or print preview. See bug 487667 for details.
* We made significant changes to table border handling. See bug
452319 and bug 43178 for details.
* We made various architectural changes to improve Web page
More information on these changes is in the release notes, as well
as the "Upcoming Firefox features for developers" article on the
Mozilla Developer Center.
Please use the links from the following post to download the Mozilla
Developer Preview of Gecko 1.9.3 Alpha 1:
announce mailing list
announce at lists.mozilla.org
More information about the pkg-mozilla-maintainers