[Po4a-devel]Some details

Martin Quinson mquinson@ens-lyon.fr
Wed, 26 May 2004 10:33:09 -0700

--llIrKcgUOe3dCx0c

On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 03:53:28PM +0200, Jordi Vilalta wrote:
> On Tue, 25 May 2004, Martin Quinson wrote:
> > On Sat, May 22, 2004 at 03:34:28PM +0200, Jordi Vilalta wrote:
> > [...]=20
> > > I haven't been able to find the main po4a man page, although most of =
the=20
> > > other man pages refer to it. Does it exist? Isn't it installed along =
with=20
> > > the other ones?
> > =20
> > man 7 po4a=20
> > pod2man doc/po4a.7.pod
>=20
> Yes, I can build it manually, but it isn't built nor installed=20
> automaticaly with make (I think it should).

Yeah, the debian package does install it, but I didn't found how to add some
extra rules to the Makefile.PL. If anybody knows how to do so, it'd be cool.

> > > Another possible feature request: would it be so difficult to get the=
=20
> > > master document (when gettextizing, or translating...) from stdin? Th=
is=20
> > > way, for example as the Dia diagrams are normaly compressed, one coul=
d do=20
> > > something like:
> > >   gunzip < document.dia | po4a-translate...
> >=20
> > Well, I seem to remember that Denis said it will be difficult to do with
> > encodings. I don't really remember.=20
> >=20
> > I could also add a -z option to gunzip files before opening.
>=20
> I think we don't need it. The gunzipping is only needed by a particular=
=20
> type of documents. Others will need other treatments. It would be nice to=
=20
> send po4a a document by stdin, enabling any treatment with pipes, but if=
=20
> it's difficult, I think it's important to mantain it simple.
>=20
>=20
> >=20
> > > And the last one (for now): How could I see the po4a program translat=
ions=20
> > > in action? (I refer to the french one in the CVS and the spanish I'm=
=20
> > > doing). I've tried something like
> > >   LANG=3Dfr po4a-gettextize
> > > and things like that, but all appears in english, like before. What a=
m I=20
> > > missing?
> >=20
> > It depends on the way you installed it. I get it in french...
>=20
> I've been looking it, and I saw that translations are not automaticaly=20
> installed. I tried with:
>   make -C po install
> and after upgrading gettext to 0.13, it seems now the po/bin/*.po catalog=
s=20
> are installed.

How, the lack of sub-directory recursion in this stupid Makefile.PL again.
Sorry, I'm puzzeled.

> In spite of this, I can't get any translated message at runtime.

ls /usr/share/locale/es/LC_MESSAGES/po4a.mo ?
I suspect the same kind of problem than above. Couldn't you try to install
the debian package? I though gentoo was based on debian anyhow...

> The translations in po/pod/*.po aren't currently used to generate any=20
> final file (as translated man's), are they?

The translated man page generation takes place during the debian package
compilation. This is wrong again.

> While messing with the translations, I've updated po/bin/es.po (diff=20
> attached).

Commited.

Bye, Mt.

--=20