[Po4a-devel]Merging po4a-like efforts?

Martin Quinson martin.quinson@loria.fr
Wed, 27 Apr 2005 11:44:03 +0200

--m1UC1K4AOz1Ywdkx

On Sun, Apr 17, 2005 at 01:23:43PM +0200, Jordi Vilalta wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
>=20
> My vision is that all these efforts have to merge, and I propose the=20
> following long term steps:
>=20
> - First, we (all the involved projects) should define a common interface
>   (extending the TransTractor one, for example) that would be able to
>   handle all the posible file formats (more than one translation on the
>   same file, etc.)
> - Second, we should implement the new kernel app that is able to handle
>   everything defined in the first step using plugins.
> - Third, each project could build his own file format plugins in their
>   preferred language.
>=20
> > PS: I dream of Perl6, which will make possible the code sharing between
> > perl, python and even java ;)
>=20
> I support C/C++ for the kernel app, which has interfaces to lots of other=
=20
> languages, and it could also bring us some more performance.

I never thought about this, but it is a lightning idea. One of the big
difference between now and the days I begun hacking on po4a is that now,
gettext exports a library we could link against. I know it exists, but I
never looked at this very closely.

I tried several times to think about a merge between po4a and gettext, but
the modules using so much perl features (regexps, eval) I though it was
impossible. I never thought about implementing the kernel (Po.pm and
TransTractor.pm) in C and leaving the modules in Perl.

Again, that's a very good idea.

> Maybe all this is like an utopia, but I think it's the way to go. If we=
=20
> decide to follow one of these roads we should tell the other projects.

Well. I'm quite sure some of them are on this list ;) And I'm not sure we
should announce it too much before it gets implemented. I mean that I won't
have much time for this before months, and I hate announcing what I can't d=
o ;)

> The main spanish translators group has proposed a small encounter of the=
=20
> translation efforts (translators themselves and tools' developers) for ne=
xt=20
> summer. I think it could be a nice event to talk about all these issues.=
=20
> I'll be forwarding all the information I get about it.

Hey, a little trip to espan~a this summer would be good ;)

Mt.

--m1UC1K4AOz1Ywdkx

--m1UC1K4AOz1Ywdkx--