[Po4a-devel] Status of the Man module

Martin Quinson martin.quinson at loria.fr
Sat Jul 29 08:02:41 UTC 2006

(catching up with old mails)

On Thu, Jun 15, 2006 at 09:35:49PM +0200, Nicolas François wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Here is the status of the Man module.
>
> dir1:po4a-0.25
> dir2:20060615
>
> dir1\dir2   IGN    OK   OK2  WOK1  WOK2  WOK3   PBS WDIFF
>       IGN     0   722  1076    45   110   215   102    12
>        OK     0   428     0     0     0     0     0     0
>       OK2     0     0  2202     0     0     0     0     0
>      WOK1     0     0     0   181     0     0     0     0
>      WOK2     0     0     0     0   454     0     0     0
>      WOK3     0     0     4     1     1   399     0     0
>       PBS     0     2     3     1     0     3   339     1
>     WDIFF     0     2     9     1     2     3     0    21
> total:  6339 | 6339

Legend so that other can read it too:

OK    Man pages for which diff does not see a difference.
OK2   diff does not see a difference after converting hyphens
      to minus signs, `` to ", and '' to " (in both pages).
WOK1  wdiff doesn't see any difference after the same modifications
WOK2  This tries to detect changes in the hyphenation of words.
WOK3  This removes minus signs, and thus detects more changes in
      hyphenation. It also mask font changes.
PBS   po4a preferred to stop processing the man page (unsupported,...)
WDIFF These are probably bugs in po4a or in the man page
IGN   man pages po4a refused to operate on (e.g. were generated by Pod::Man)

And then, the table means that they are 1076 pages on nekral's system that
the version 0.25 ignores and which are in the OK2 category (minor
difference) with the current CVS. 9 pages where WDIFF (probable bug) and are
now OK2 too.

> There are no more ignored pages (I used -o generated).
> Basically, except from the IGN line, it is nice when a page is going to the
> left in this table.  The WDIFF column is the one we want to avoid (po4a
> process the page without warning, but the normalized page is diffrent from
> the original page).
>
> The generated pages do not lower the stats of the man module.
> (Moreover, they permitted to detect some issues and to fix some of the
> WDIFF of po4a 0.25)

That's quite impressive indeed.

How did you deal with the definitions added by the Pod::Man, for example?
You check that their definition match what you expect from them and then
ignore them?

That's a very good job!

Bye, Mt.

--
Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for
surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type