[Po4a-devel] How to handle dublicate strings

Heiner h.eichmann at gmx.de
Tue Oct 24 19:12:43 UTC 2006

On Sunday 22 October 2006 21:31, Nicolas François wrote:
> > While playing with po4a I found a problem, which does not occur very
> > often, but it might. Assume the following table (in docbook) should be
> > translated:
> >
> > <informaltable>
> > 	<tgroup cols='2'>
> > 		<tbody>
> > 			<row>
> > 				<entry>right</entry>
> > 				<entry>wrong</entry>
> > 			</row>
> > 			<row>
> > 				<entry>right</entry>
> > 				<entry>left</entry>
> > 			</row>
> > 		</tbody>
> > 	</tgroup>
> > </informaltable>
> >
> > po4a-gettextize -f sgml makes the following .pot out of this:
>
> [...]
>
> > As you see: just 3 strings as "right" appeared twice in the source. But
> > this is the problem: in english the opposite of left and the opposite of
> > wrong are
>
> The document could also be changed by using entities, and then using
> something like &right_not_wrong; and &right_not_left;

This is a good hint. I think for the for occasion these kind of problems
occur, this trick will do it!

> Regarding the issues you already mentioned, I intend to fix the '>>'
> issue.
> I don't think I can do anything about the validation of the XML tags in
> po4a.  I intend to fix the '>>' issue, and then release a 0.29.1

The latest cvs solves it partly: if run with  -o ignore="mediaobject
imageobject" I get correct xml in the .po file (no >>).

If run without  -o ignore="mediaobject imageobject", the imagedata line does
not show up in the .po file any more!

Best regards,

Heiner