[Po4a-devel] What to do when the original document is not in english ?

Nicolas François nicolas.francois at centraliens.net
Sun Apr 13 20:33:28 UTC 2008

Hello Fabrice,

On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 07:06:14PM +0200, fabrice at coredmp.net wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a document (Docbook) in French, and when i use po4a whith it ..
> it says ...
>
> Discard local/fr/CryptUtils.xml (0 of 1385 strings; only 0% translated;
> need 80%)
>
> Well ... my doc is in French .. so ..
>
> Is any way to make understand po4a that the original doc is not in english ?

Well, it really depends on what you want to do:

 1) It is the French translation of another document and you want to reuse
    that translation.

 2) It is a French document that has no reason to be translated in other
    languages.

 3) It is a French document that should be translated in other languages.

1)
  remove the French document from the po4a config file
  use po4a-gettextize to reuse the translation

2)
  remove the French document from the po4a config file

3)
  It depends whether you want people to translate from English of from
  French
   a) You first have to translate the document in English, then you're
   back to case 1)
   b) (It is not recommended).
      If all your files are not already in French, "translate" that
      section of the PO file by simply copying the msgid into the msgstr.
      (you can use msgen for that, after extracting the strings for that
      file with msggrep -N, and doing a merge afterward with msgcat)

Kind Regards,
--
Nekral