[Po4a-devel] XML: prevent some attributes from being translated

poy poy at 123gen.com
Mon Mar 2 22:50:00 UTC 2009

> Hello,
>
> I've added a foldattributes option to the Xml module.
> (The name can change until it appear in a release ;)

hi, thanks, this is great news! i've done a quick test (by passing "-o
foldattributes" in command-line to po4a-gettextize), and my links were
changed to tags like:
    <a po4a-id=0>

- i'm not sure whether "=0" without quotes around "0" is valid; but in any
case this is only as a help to translators, so better just leave it as is.

- to translate back, i did not have to pass any option to po4a-translate; it
automatically guessed that po4a-id attributes had to be unfolded. that's
nifty, but if one were forced to pass "-o foldattributes" to po4a-translate,
above tag could become:
    <a id=0>
which is even simpler. there would be no confusion as to whether that "id"
attribute comes from po4a or not: if po4a-translate was called with "-o
foldattributes", then the "id" attribute has to be unfolded to actual
attributes (which may even be real "id" attributes); otherwise, if no option
passed, then leave attributes untouched.

> I did not add a 'f' modifier yet. This will probably no appear before the
> next release. Lets get some feedback first.

i thought you did, i saw some when skimming through the diff. haven't tested
it though.
for my XHTML usage, this global boolean switch is perfectly fine.

thanks,

poy