[Po4a-devel] Preparation of the next po4a 0.40 release

Denis Barbier bouzim at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 12:31:04 UTC 2010

On 2010/7/21 Omar Campagne wrote:
>> [...]
>> > Good. I wouldn't mind contacting translators «by hand» in the
>> > «Last-translator» field if Nicolas agrees, checking the po's integrity
>> > and so on... and giving it to the list for a commit to the repo. I know
>> > you guys are busy.  About podebconf-report-po, I don't know well how it
>> > works. Anyway, it's in your hands to take a decision.
>> [...]
>
>> I am sorry, but I cannot parse this paragraph.  Do you volunteer to
>> contact translators?  If so, sure, do as you want, either by hand or
> Yes, I volunteer for that task : )

Great, thanks a lot for your help!

>> via podebconf-report-po.  I just made a quick test, and
>> podebconf-report-po seems to work just fine, I can give details if you
>> want.
> Please, do give me the details. Anyway, I'll RTFM, the details you give
> me will help me to get going quick, though.

Ok, I do not have access to po4a CVS from work, so I will explain with
po4a-0.39.  Since podebconf-report-po is used to send mails, you have
to be very careful to not send unwanted mails, maybe the best option
is to be disconnected when making first tests.
I suggest you also to use the --postpone option until you are familiar
with this tool, to not send unwanted mails.  Here is a quick
step-by-step tutorial, my comments start with **
  $ podebconf-report-po --postpone=/tmp/test-po4a-bin --notdebconf
--podir=po/bin --languageteam
** The --languageteam option sends mails to Last-Translator *and* Language-Team
** You decide whether to use this option or not.
  You should specify a deadline to help translators organize their work.
  This deadline is usually the date you are planning to make the next
  release (or the day before).
  Deadline? [+10days] +6days
** or Tue, 27 Jul 2010 00:00 UTC, or any other date which lets you
** commit before 19:00 UTC, I will make the release around this time
** When you press enter, the following lines are printed:
  Using po4a.pot for the call for translation
  Outdated files: zh_CN.po nl.po id.po oc.po pt.po uz.po hr.po ru.po
zh_HK.po ko.po bn.po uk.po ar.po de.po et.po af.po ca.po nb.po fr.po
eu.po cs.po he.po ja.po pt_BR.po sv.po pl.po eo.po es.po kn.po vi.po
it.po ku.po sl.po
** An editor is then launched, it may hide those lines.  Its contents are:
  # Lines beginning with a number sign are comments, they are removed when
  # sending mails.  If a line is composed of a # followed by a 'Name: Value'
  # pair, it is interpreted as a mail header field and is passed to your mail
  # transport agent.  You can edit/add/remove those header fields.
  #
  # From: Nicolas FRANCOIS (Nekral)
  # Subject: po4a 0.39-1: Please update debconf PO translation for the
package po4a
** Change these two fields to put your name and a more accurate subject
** when sending PO files about documentation.  A better option is to
** to use the --from option to put your name and mail, or better yet create
** ~/.podebconf-report-po.conf to define 'from' as explained in the man page.
  #
  # This mail will be sent to the following people:
  # (you can update email addresses, or remove lines.  Only email addresses
  # with the check box checked will receive the message).
  #
  #  WARNING: Some email addresses seem to be invalid.
  #           You should remove them and inform the translators separately.
  #
  ### [*] af.po: Theuns Smuts, AF
  ### [*] ar.po: EMAD AL-BLOUSHI, Arabic
  ### [*] bn.po: ??????????????? ?????????????????? ????????? (**mail
dropped**), Bengali
  ### [*] ca.po: Jordi Vilalta Prat (**mail dropped**), CA
  ### [*] cs.po: Michal Simunek (**mail dropped**), Czech
<debian-l10n-czech at lists.debian.org>
** I removed real mails to avoid spams.  Here, the Last-Translator field of
** af.po and ar.po contain only names, not mails, so you can uncheck these files
** or remove those lines.; bn.po and ca.po contain invalid mails in
Language-Team, you
** can remove everything after comma.  After edition, those lines will look like
**  ### [*] bn.po: ??????????????? ?????????????????? ?????????
(**mail dropped**)
**  ### [*] ca.po: Jordi Vilalta Prat (**mail dropped**)
**  ### [*] cs.po: Michal Simunek (**mail dropped**), Czech
<debian-l10n-czech at lists.debian.org>
** Of course, you will have to keep real mails.
[snip other languages]
  Hi,

  You are noted as the last translator of the translation for
  po4a. The English template has been changed, and now some messages
  against po4a.

  Tue, 27 Jul 2010 00:00:07 +0000.

  Thanks in advance,
** You can make changes in this text if you want, and when you leave editor,
** you are prompted with this question:
  Ready to send the emails, are you sure? [y/N/e/?] e
** If you answer 'N', it aborts; 'e' gets you back to the editor, and
'y' send mails.
** If you added the --postpone option, mails are not sent but written
into the specified mailbox.

You can then launch mutt to have a look at this mailbox, for instance by running
  $ mutt -e 'set postponed=/tmp/test-po4a-bin' -p
and send all mails, or you re-run podebconf-report-po without the
--postpone option.

When this is done, you commit PO files sent back to you into CVS.
Please write in the log message who made the translations, I will use
those log messages to update changelogs and credit translators.

If you want to also call for updates on documentation, you should add
the --gzip flag to compress PO files, or use the --sendmessage option
(I did not test it) and modify mail body to give a link to cvsweb
where translators can download their PO files.

Denis