[Po4a-devel] po4a-translate is skipping all translations

Denis Barbier bouzim at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 21:28:20 UTC 2010

On 2010/9/8 Tony Houghton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to use po4a to manage Spanish translations of roxterm's man
> pages (generated from Docbook/XML), but I can't get it to work properly
> because po4a-translate translates 0% of the strings.
>
> Originally the translator produced an XML file before we knew about
> po4a, so I used po4a-gettextize to produce a .po file, which appeared to
> work perfectly. But I can't get po4a-translate to produce a translated
> XML file from it.
>
> I tried -v which didn't print any extra info at all, and then -d which
> printed this:
[...]
> Discard the translation of ../roxterm.1.xml.in (only 0% translated; need 80%).
>

> Surely that shouldn't be enough to make it give up entirely?
>
> I haven't subscribed to the list so please Cc all replies to me or let
> me know if I should subscribe. And I expect it would help if you see the
> XML and .po files, but I wasn't sure whether it's OK to post attachments
> here, so please let me know.

Hello,

The po4a-gettextize(1) manpage contains this paragraph:
  Even if the script manages to do its job without any apparent
  problem, it still marks all extracted translations as fuzzy, to make
  sure that the translator will have a look at them, and detect any
  remaining problem.

This is on purpose, we cannot be sure that the translation used by
po4a-gettextize is up-to-date, thus a translator has to review her PO
file.  To make tests, you can run
  msgattrib --clear-fuzzy
to remove the fuzzy flags, but please make sure that this translation
is reviewed by someone who understands Spanish (and can check this PO
file) before committing it into your VCS.

Denis