[Pommed-devel] backlight problems with MBP 3.1

Steffen Schulz pepe_ml at gmx.net
Wed Apr 22 10:05:25 UTC 2009

Hi,

Cross-posted to nvidia forum:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1988938#post1988938

I use pommed in debian to regulate the backlight of my macbook
pro(santa rosa, 8600M). Pommed originally used some low-level bios(?)
calls to dim the LED backlight, using code I posted here some time ago.
I also have this code here as a separate application. Linux recently
also got a driver for this, called mbp_nvidia_bl, but in the last
versions(2.6.28) it did not work correctly. Now I have 2.6.29. Debian
also upgraded Xorg and the nvidia binary driver complained about
incompatible API. So I upgraded the driver too.

Unfortunately, I now can not dim the backlight anymore, with either
method. The separate tool also doesn't work anymore.

Anybody know what this is and how to fix it?

I use this in pommed, which is supposed to be recognised by the app as
alternative ways to talk to the hardware:

| lcd_sysfs {
|    # The sysfs backlight control is a generic interface provided
|    # by the Linux kernel for backlight control on most graphic cards.
|    # The brightness range can differ depending on the hardware.
|
|    # initial backlight level [12] (0 - 15, -1 to disable)
|    init = -1
|    # step value (1 - 2)
|    step = 1
|    # backlight level when on battery [6] (1 - 15, 0 to disable)
|    on_batt = 6
| }
|
| # nVidia GeForce 8600M GT backlight control (MacBook Pro v3)
| lcd_nv8600mgt {
|     # initial backlight level [12] (0 - 15, -1 to disable)
|     init = -1
|     # step value (1 - 2)
|     step = 1
|     # backlight level when on battery [6] (1 - 15, 0 to disable)
|     on_batt = 2

pommed -d gives no errors about backlight.

/steffen
--
pepe at unixfan.net                            gpg --recv-key A04D7875
Key fingerprint: B805 57BE E4AF 0104 CC51  77A1 CE6F 8D46 A04D 7875