[Popcon-developers] Should we patch popcon to send emails even without an MTA?

Bill Allombert allomber@math.u-bordeaux.fr
Mon, 17 Jan 2005 11:27:17 +0100

On Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 08:40:32PM +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> I was planning to add the code, and document the option, but not try
> to enable it automatically, and not use it by default.  This way,
> those with MTA unable to send email can enable it if they want.
>
> > Will we need more debconf templates ?
>
> Not if we only make the option available, and don't try to enable it
> at install time.
r>
> > A built-in SMTP engine has the following problems:
> >
> > 1) You need to configure the smarthost and the sender address properly.
> > (it might be possible to use popcon.debian.org and
> > submitter@popcon.debian.org but that will not work with some ISP that
> > block port 25.)
>
> Yes.  Those needing the feature will need to provide working
> configuration for SMTP.
>
> > 2) If the network is not up when the cron job run, the mail is not
> > send.
>
> Yes.   Those enabling this option need to know this.

Given all the above, I don't see any advantage of the built-in SMTP:
this is more work for get it going than installing exim4 with debconf.

It is very unlikely we get more report by providing this option, which
was the original incentive, so I don't think we should include it unless
we can provide a zero-configuration set-up that work for more people.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.