[Popcon-developers] Debconf ideas

Dan Kegel dank06 at kegel.com
Mon Jun 18 20:45:53 UTC 2007

On 6/18/07, Enrico Zini <enrico at enricozini.org> wrote:
>  - patch ld.so.cache to add an option to preserve the atimes of the
>    libraries during indexing, and use it on the nightly cron job.  Like
>    updatedb does.

... except that everybody mounts with noatime, don't they?
Hmm, maybe that's only production systems, I guess
desktop systems can get away with atime.

Alternately, you could use inotify on /bin and /usr/bin,
and track both file open and file close.  That would give
you not only how often the program was run, but how long
it ran, too.
- Dan